Sunday, January 01, 2012

A New Year ~ A New Start

For the majority of 50-some New Years past I've begun the year with resolutions. I've resolved to lose weight, exercise more, read my bible every day, encourage more, criticize less. I muster up a burst of fortitude and shoot out of the gate at a full sprint. But somewhere around Valentine's Day (or earlier, if I'm truthful) I run out of steam. It's a discouraging and demoralizing cycle. So this year I'm taking a slightly different approach. No resolutions, though I intend to make some significant and lasting change. I'm starting at the end. I'm crafting a battle plan; one that includes specific strategies. I'm taking small, and measurable steps. Like the tortoise, slow and steady wins the race. And win I will.

I'm calling 2012 "The Year of the Battle." It is a year that I'm going to stop feeling defeated. I'm going to rise up, take arms, and beat the crap out of the enemies (many of my own making) that threaten my health and well-being. Enemies like bad eating habits, a sedentary lifestyle, fear, discouragement, anger, complacency, and prayerlessness.

In January, I'm beginning Optifast - a medically supervised weight loss program. I'm investing a significant amount of time and money into myself. This program will begin as an 18-week "reboot" of my physical health. I view this as a prerequisite to the rest of the work that needs to be done. It means that I will need to do things very differently. It means that I will not be participating in the annual February Birthday Bash (or at least not eating the food.) I hope that everyone will understand.

In this battle, I am surrounding myself with a team of supporters. Some are friends and family; others are fellow soldiers in the same battle. I hope you will be one of my supporters. I may occasionally blog about how the battle is going. There will be defeats along the way, I'm sure. But I'm not planning to quit. I'm giving you permission to give me the kick in the pants I may occasionally need. And once in awhile, a hug would be nice too.



Mind mapping is simply a way of brainstorming. Wikipedia defines a mind map as a diagram used to represent words, ideas, tasks, or other items linked to and arranged around a central key word or idea. Here is my mind map that outlines my word for 2012 - Victory.

No comments: