Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Letters from Boot Camp


We have received two letters from David. In his last letter, he asked me to "keep blowing up my Facebook with updates." So here are some excerpts....

"I went to church on Sunday and it was awesome! The chaplain is a great preacher. I was chosen as a prayer leader for my platoon, which means every night we are given 5 minutes of evening devotion and I lead it. Also, every Tuesday all of the Christian prayer leaders get together for an hour and have a meeting with the chaplain. During that time we pray and read bible verses and talk about how God is working in our lives here at boot camp..."

"There are a lot of things that suck...The DIs (drill instructors) yell and spit all over your face and your tray. Every single thing that you do every single day is counted down by a DI. For example, we get 300 seconds to shower and shave, 60 seconds to go to the bathroom, 30 seconds to change our clothes, 100 seconds to make our racks. If you don't get it done on time you go to the quarterdeck at the front of the squadbay and get IT'd where you do jumping jacks and push ups for at least 5 minutes straight."
"Physical training isn't so bad. I actually enjoy doing the daily workouts. I also don't mind drill - I actually kind of like it."

"Did I mention I was given 7 shots in one day? That was by far the worst night."
"The two things I look forward to every day are chow and bed time. The chow is not all that great, but I'm always so hungry that I eat  my entire tray."

"I'm not homesick, but I do really miss junk food, my bed, girls:), and HyVee Chinese!"
"I could really use a news update - It's as if we are completely cut off from the outside world."

"Don't worry about me - things aren't so bad here. I'm actually starting to get used to it."
"Let everyone know that I would really appreciate letters from them. They have no idea how much a simple letter can lift my spirits. Also, please be praying for me and my platoon and my Drill Instructors."

 - Love, David

Note: The Marines ask us not to post the recruits addresses on Facebook or other public websites, but I am glad to email David's address to anyone who would like to send him a letter.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like he is doing well Felicia! I'm sure you miss him 24/7! Be proud and stay strong! And go ahead and cry too!