Saturday, April 14, 2012

Letters from Boot Camp - Episode 4

This week we received two letters in two days, but they were written a week apart. Which just underscores the unpredictable nature of boot camp communication. I sense that David is feeling more confidence, but is also getting eager for this phase of his career to be completed. In just under 4 weeks we will be attending his graduation. I can't wait!

Here are this weeks' highlights:



April 3
I'm going to have to make this one short. I am currently sitting on the toilet, which we now have to call the "s***ter." We got our mail late tonight so our SDI said we could read our letters and write as long as we did it in the "head," which is what we call the bathroom. Just about everything has a different name here at the Depot. a pen is an ink stick; a tooth brush is a fang brush; a door is a hatch; the floor is the deck; our running shoes are go-fasters. The list goes on and on.  

It is crazy to think that in just a few weeks I will get to see you! I have come a long way, but still have a lot ahead of me. I'm not too worried about any of our final PT events or our final exams, but I'm dreading the Crucible. While we have been here at Camp Pendleton, we've seen two companies complete their Crucibles.

I think I have changed my mind about staying in San Diego for a few days after graduation. I really just want to get home ASAP. By the time I graduate I think I will have spent enough time in San Diego! Oh, and don't worry, I already ordered photos and a DVD of our graduation as well as a yearbook. I ordered about 30 wallets to give away to the ladies! If there are any left after that I might let you guys have a couple.  

My final rifle score on Table 1 and Table 2 was 334 out of 350. I think I shot 3rd highest in my Platoon and I was probably in the top 10 for the company. So I feel pretty good about that. The guy who got Company Marksman shot a 340 so I wasn't too far off. So when you see me in my uniform looking all snazzy I will have those cross rifles (rifle expert badge) pinned on my chest.

Tomorrow we go out to the field for 4 days and we are staying in "hooches" which are little janky tents we set up. So I won't be getting any mail those days.

April 8th - Easter Sunday
So this is my very first Easter Sunday away from my family. I miss you guys a lot! I also miss all the candy! I would kill for a box of Peeps right now. I am currently sitting on top of my main pack waiting to go back to San Diego from Camp P. 

We just got back from the field on Friday and those two days totally sucked! It was super cold, we got super dirty and muddy and we didn't get to change or take showers. But we did learn a lot of useful stuff like how to read a military map and how to navigate with a compass. We did a day and night navigation test. My fire team passed with flying colors. 

Yesterday we had our initial Combat Fitness Test (CFT). I did alright, but I felt like I could have done much better. Our goal as a platoon was to get 100 ammo can lifts on that portion of the test, and a lot of guys didn't do that - me being one of them. The Senior got really mad so he wouldn't give me permission to take a poop all day (we have to ask permission to take a poop or we get in trouble.) So I had to sneak off to take a dump! 

I hope all is going well on the home front. I love you all. Keep praying for me!

David.

2 comments:

karltingle said...

My son Jesse is in platoon 1029. We are looking forward to graduation as well. Our son just wants to come home afterward as well. simper fi

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post. If you haven't already, please check out the Bravo Company Meet & Greet info over at
MarineFamily.com

We are planning a dinner for the DIs on Wednesday, May 9 and would love as many family members as possible to join us!
Felicia