Monday, June 01, 2009

Capitol Hill - Iowa Style

If you stand at the top of the hill on East Grand Ave. in Des Moines on a clear night, the view in just about every direction is breathtaking. I've been wanting to photograph it for a long time. Every time I'm in the vicinity, there is some excuse...it's too late and everyone wants to get home; it's raining; it's too light; it's too cold. Most often the excuse is that I don't have my camera along. But Saturday night I set aside all excuses and actually remembered my camera. It took me trying all three of the lenses I own and about 25 shots to capture this. I will confess that there is just a bit of editing, but not much.

At 10 p.m. on a Saturday, the city is alive with activity. The sounds of the East Village drift up the hill - cars and music and people laughing. Lovers sit on the Capitol steps and savor the lights of downtown. Photographers (like me?) try their hand at capturing the splendor of the golden domed Capitol building. From time to time a stilled hush envelopes the hill and everyone simply enjoys the visual feast. I would highly recommend it as a place to relax and reflect (unless, of course, the weather was unfriendly.)

Here is the view facing east.



And here is the view facing west. Click on either photo to view it larger.


No comments: